Today the Ministry of Health of Uzbekistan announced that at least 18 children have died after being given a medicinal syrup from the Indian pharmaceutical company Marion Biotech Pvt Ltd.
According to the ministry, 18 of the 21 children who were given Doc-1 Max syrup died due to severe respiratory problems.
This syrup is referred to on the company’s website as a therapeutic preparation For cold and flu symptoms.
A batch of the drink contains the substance ethylene glycol And they, according to the Ministry, are poisonous. The syrup was imported into Uzbekistan by Koramax Medical LLC.
The syrup was given to children at home, without a prescription, either by their parents or on the advice of pharmacists, in doses higher than those permitted for those ages.
It is not yet clear whether all or any of the children drank a drink from the suspected batch, whether they received a higher dose than usual, or both.
A government source in India said the country’s health ministry is studying the matter. In fact, India on Tuesday started inspections of some pharmaceutical factories across the country to ensure that high standards of pharmaceutical manufacturing are met.
In early fall, in The Gambia at least 70 children died after being given a drink from the Indian pharmaceutical company Maiden Pharmaceuticals LtdAccording to the authorities of the African country. However, the Indian government and the company deny that the pharmaceutical industry is responsible for the deaths.
In Uzbekistan, the Ministry of Health said it dismissed seven employees for “negligence” after they failed to timely analyze child deaths and take appropriate action. He added that some “experts” were disciplined, without specifying the role played by these “experts”.
The authorities also recalled Doc-1 Max pills and syrup from all pharmacies.
Follow DNews on Google News and be the first to know all the news
“Hipster-friendly coffee fanatic. Subtly charming bacon advocate. Friend of animals everywhere.”