Olympiacos was eliminated from European competitions after a draw with Freiburg, with Greece not represented in Europe since the new year. Thus, he has scored the worst set of points in the UEFA standings in the past 30 years.
Thursday night (10/27) Olympic he came 1-1 draw with Freiburg, where the Germans scored 90 + 3 and condemned red and white. Piraeus were excluded from European competitions, while they could not win in Europe yet.
Next week in the first leg against Nantes (3/11, 19:45) there will be the conclusion of a disastrous European season for Greece. Olympiacos does not continue in any competition while PanathinaikosThe BAOK And the Mars Farewell to his qualifiers Conference League.
Somehow, an ominous landscape was formed for our country. Greece collected 25225 pointsHe is consistently ranked 20th, while in the last round he can only overtake the Croats in 19th place.
It remains to be seen what exactly this Greek withdrawal means as we await UEFA announcements for the 2024/2025 season. If the same is true this year, we are losing out on one European ticket we won off the good track last season.
That is, the champion goes to the first qualifying round of the European Champions League Runner-up, third-placed and cup winner in the second qualifying round of the European Conference League.
Lowest rating among 28 countries
Greece collected this year 2125 points And fell fatally to the twentieth place. Indeed, our country is one of those who have the worst first-class harvest.
In particular, we should look at the 30th place, where Kazakhstan is, to see a worse concentration of points (1125).
After the 30th place, there are also countries with better harvests, such as Kosovo and Moldova, while in 2022/23 we have so far the same points as Slovenia, whose teams have lost all of the European competitions.
Worst crop since 1990/1991
Greece collected 8000 points last season, as Olympiacos reached the extra-round of the European League and PAOK reached the quarter-finals of the Conference League, knocking out Marseille. This year’s “fall” was a big one, setting Greek football almost 30 years back.
In particular, this year’s harvest is the worst since the 1990/1991 season, when Greece collected 1,750 points. Since then, the country has always exceeded 3000 points, while in the 2001/2002 season it collected 11,250 points.
It should be noted that in the period under review, European competitions changed their format, while UEFA’s calculation method was changed five times (1960, 1999, 2004, 2009, 2018). At the same time, a third competition, the Conference League, was added in the 2020/21 season.
All this does not change the essence and scale of the setback, while it may not appear in numbers, but the degree of failure this year is greater than in the 1990/1991 season.
The results of the Greek teams 1990/1991:
Panathinaikos advance (Champions Cup first round)
- Les Poznan – Panathinaikos 3-0
- Panathinaikos – Lech Poznan 1-2
PAOK advance (European Cup first round)
- BAOK – Swarovski Tirol 0-2
- Swarovski Tyrol – BAOK 2-0
Heracles Path (UEFA Cup, first round)
- Heracles – Valencia 0-0
- Valencia – Heracles 2-0 (par)
Olympiacos advance (up to the second round of the Cup Winners’ Cup)
- Olympiacos – Flamortari 3-1
- Flamurtari – Olympiacos 2-0
- Olympiacos – Sampdoria 0-1
- Sampdoria – Olympiacos 3-1
The results of the Greek teams in 2022/23:
Olympiacos Track (European League Group Elimination)
- Maccabi Haifa – Olympiacos 1-1 (European Champions League second qualifying round)
- Olympiacos – Maccabi Haifa 0-4
- Olympiacos – Slovan Bratislava 1-1 (European League 3rd Preliminary Round)
- Slovan Bratislava – Olympiacos 2-2 (3-4 pens).
- Apollon Limassol – Olympiacos 1-1 (European League Qualifiers)
- Olympiacos – Apollon Limassol 1-1 (3-1 pen).
- Nantes – Olympiacos 2-1 (European League group stage)
- Olympiacos – Freiburg 0-3
- Olympiacos – Karabakh 0-3
- Karabakh – Olympiacos 0-0
- Freiburg – Olympiacos 1-1
- Olympiacos – Nantes (3/11)
Aris career (Convention League 3rd Preliminary Elimination)
- Ares – Gomel 5-1 (Second round of conference tournament qualifiers)
- Gomel – Ares 1-2
- Maccabi Tel Aviv – Aris 2-0 (The third round of qualifying for the Conference League)
- Ares – Maccabi Tel Aviv 2-1
Panathinaikos progress (elimination from the third preliminary round of the Conference League)
- Slavia Prague – Panathinaikos 2-0
- Panathinaikos – Slavia Prague 1-1
PAOK Road (Convention League second qualifying round elimination)
- Levski Sofias – BAOK 2-0
- BAOK – Levsky Sofias 1-1
“Certified social media geek. Lifelong coffee aficionado. Passionate food buff.”