Manchester United trailed seven goals from Liverpool and beat Betis 4-1 with the same squad in the first leg of the 16th round of the European League at Old Trafford.
Manchester United had to give answers and they gave them. the 4-1 The fixture over Betis at Old Trafford in the first leg of their Europa League last-16 tie came just days after Liverpool’s 7-goal defeat signaled a regrouping.
The game started in an exemplary way for the “Red Devils”. Before the cross, Eric ten Huck was booed by the fans and only in the sixth minute did Marcus Rashford open the scoring, reaching 26 goals in the season, which he had in the last two years combined.
The first part did not develop in the same way. The Dutch coach chose the same line-up as “Anfield” and the weak links appeared again. Diogo Dalot was one of them, and his vulnerability led to the 1-1 equalizer for Ayuthi Perez, who scored his first own goal after 13 appearances against the Red Devils as a Leicester and Newcastle player.
A little later, from a mistake by David De Gea, Betis hit the crossbar with his scorer and missed the chance to turn things around.
At halftime Ten Hach replaced Dalot with Aaron Wan-Bissaka and the home team came back strong again. A stunning strike from Anthony and a header from Bruno Fernandes gave them a two-goal lead just before the hour mark.
The collapse of the “verdiblancos” did not stop with the replacement of 41-year-old Joaquin. The Andalusians failed to respond and United’s changes proved more effective. In a phase where two of them shone, Facundo Pellistri and Scott McTominay, Vout Vehorst took the rebound and with his second England goal made it 4-1.
- Manchester UnitedDe Gea, Dalot (46′ Wan-Bissaka), Varane, Martinez, Shaw (65′ Malaysia), Casemiro, Fred (82′ McTominay), Anthony (82′ Pelestri), Weyhurst, Fernandez, Rashford (65′ Sancho)
- BetisBravo, Sampali, Bisilla, Felipe, Abner, Carvalho, Rodriguez (65 Guardado), Enrique (59 Ruibal), Joaquin (59 Canales), Juanmi (80 Jose), Perez (65 Iglesias).
The results of the first matches of the “16”
- Leverkusen – Ferencvaros 2-0 (10′ Demirbay, 86′ Tapsoba)
- Roma – Sociedad 2-0 (13 Al-Sarawi, 87 Kombula).
- Sporting – Arsenal 2-2 (34′ Inasio, 55′ Paulinho / 22′ Saliba, 62′ auto. Morita)
- Union Berlin – Union St. Giloa 3-3 (42′ Joranovic, 69′ Knock, 89′ Mitchell / 28′ 73′ Boniface, 59′ Vertisen)
- Juventus – Freiburg 1-0 (53′ Di Maria)
- Manchester United – Betis 4-1 (6′ Rashford, 52′ Anthony, 58′ Fernandez, 82′ Wehorst / 32′ Perez)
- Seville – Fenerbahce 2-0 (56′ Jordan, 85′ Lamila)
- Shakhtar – Feyenoord 1-1 (79′ Rakitsky / 88′ Boywood)
Second match schedule
- 03/16 19:45 Fenerbahçe – Seville
- 03/16 19:45 Feyenoord – Shakhtar
- 03/16 19:45 Freiburg – Juventus
- 03/16 19:45 Betis – Manchester United
- 03/16 22:00 Arsenal – Sporting
- 03/16 22:00 Ferencvaros – Leverkusen
- 03/16 22:00 Sociedad – Roma
- 03/16 22:00 Union St. Gilois – Union Berlin
“Certified social media geek. Lifelong coffee aficionado. Passionate food buff.”
PAOK – Panathinaikos (Live and Live Stream) – PAOK
Two nights in Karaiskakis can change a lot for the “red and white” and the news about Hamis
Celtics 99-140: Boston sweeps Milwaukee with an epic performance and all-out basketball