December 2, 2022

Valley Post

Read Latest News on Sports, Business, Entertainment, Blogs and Opinions from leading columnists.

Fukushima has been ordered to provide compensation to the victims of the disaster

First change:

The Supreme Court has ruled that Tokyo Electric Power Company should pay compensation to the victims of the 2011 nuclear accident. The result will reach 3,700 people and equate to $ 12 million. It is expected to cover more than 30 completed first three lawsuits against the utility company.

This Friday, March 4, Japan’s Supreme Court has ordered Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) to pay 1.4 million yen – equivalent to $ 12 million – in damages and damages to about 3,700 people at the Fukushima nuclear plant. The disaster of 2011. This is the first such condemnation against a company in the industry.

According to the Broadcasting NHK, each plaintiff – involved in three class action cases – will receive 380,000 yen ($ 3,290). Judgment comes first in these cases. The utility company faces more than 30 complaints.

The sentence was final as the court did not grant the appeal filed by TEPCO, which was found guilty of negligence in taking the necessary precautionary measures against the tsunami.

However, the magistrates avoided imposing punishment on the state’s role in the disaster due to lack of foresight and non – compulsory precautionary guidelines.

Authorities have also been added to the cases and an inquiry will be held next month to determine their liability.

In March 2011, a massive tsunami – measuring 9.0 on the Richter scale – struck the Fukushima Daiichi plant off the northeastern coast of Japan, creating the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

The Fukushima Daiichi plant was the site of the largest nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. © AP / File / Hiro Komae

Due to this fact, approximately 470,000 people had to leave in the early days, and today tens of thousands are still unable to return to their homes.

See also  Tom Wlaschiha Net Worth 2022: Biography, Personal life & Lifestyle

Greenpeace criticizes Fukushima plan for crash

The environmental group accused the plan to shut down the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant of “lack of clarity” and “disorder”. The NGO did so after reviewing the documents of industrial and government agencies.

“Removal is not possible in 40 years. The government needs to clarify how much progress has been made so far, ”said Satoshi Sato, a nuclear engineer.

The Japanese expert pointed out the shortcomings found in the demolition plan, such as the poor condition of the buildings, the “highly unreliable” motives for fuel extraction, the high levels of radiation, the exposure of workers and the amount of radioactive waste. It creates

Meanwhile, Sean Burney – a Greenpeace nuclear expert – said that “the current roadmap reduces the impact on humans and the environment and spilling polluted water is not the answer.” TEPCO has no plans to dismantle the plant in the next 20 or 30 years. It’s a fantasy and a long process beyond what they can explain, “he said.

With EFE and Reuters