Colorado DA court seeks review of 110-year prison sentence for truck driver in fatal I-70 crash

According to online court records, a status hearing in the case is set for Monday morning.

Aguilera-Meteros, 26, He was convicted in October Four car homicides and 23 other charges, including six assaults in the first degree – gross negligence; 10 attempts to attack in the first degree – serious negligence; Two number of vehicle attack – irresponsible; A number of careless drivers; And four accounts of negligent driving causing death.
Earlier this month, Colorado District Court Judge A.J. Bruce Jones said he was bound by the state’s mandatory-minimum penalty laws. CNN subsidiary KMGH Reported.

“On December 13, we sought the minimum sentence allowed by law and discussed with the court the legal procedure for allowing the court to reconsider its sentence in an exceptional case involving unusual and extended circumstances,” King said in a statement Wednesday.

King said in a statement that reconsideration of the sentence would not overturn the sentence of Aguilera-Medero, which King said was supported by the case’s evidence.

“This allows the court more flexibility than the initial sentence,” he said in the statement.

Leonard Martinez, one of the lawyers for Aguilera-Maduros. KMGH was sentenced to 110 years Is too long.

“At least for now, I’m glad my client has options and we’ll look at every option that can help reduce this child’s sentence,” Martinez told KMGH.

Aguilera-Mederos was driving a semi-tractor-trailer in April 2019 at 85 mph when his brakes failed, he told investigators at the time. He crashed, killing four people and injuring several others in a burning pile of 28 cars. The Lucknow Police Department said at the time.
The sentence came under immediate criticism, and an online petition urging Governor Jared police to reduce or pardon Aguilera-Mederos’ sentence. Has received over 4.7 million signatures.

The police office told CNN that Aguilera-Metro was considering a clemency request.

See also  Cuomo will not be prosecuted in the cropping case, Albany DA says

“We have just received Rogel Aguilera-Mederos’ application and our legal team is currently reviewing it. Once we reach a decision, we will publish the announcement,” Press Secretary Conor Cahill told CNN in an email.

King said in a statement that he and his team had talked with the survivors of the crash and the families of those who died about the possibility of Aguilera-Metros mourning.

“There was a certain desire to be heard in this process,” he said in the statement. “Our primary concern is to ensure that they can share with the court how this incident affected their lives, as the court will consider the appropriate sentence and follow the procedure set out in the law.”

He said they will continue to converse with the victims and their loved ones as the case progresses.

CNN’s Raja Razak, Jennifer Feldman, Melissa Alonso, Amir Vera and Michelle Watson contributed to the story.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *