May 28, 2024

Valley Post

Read Latest News on Sports, Business, Entertainment, Blogs and Opinions from leading columnists.

The 2nd NYPD officer, Wilbert Mora, died after Harlem was shot

The New York City Police Commissioner announced Tuesday that a second New York City police officer has died of his injuries Friday after a gunman opened fire during a domestic riot call in Harlem.

Wilbert Mora, an officer with the Police Department who was injured in 2018 along with his accomplice Jason Rivera, 22, was pronounced dead Friday. Officer Mora, 27, was rushed to Harlem Hospital for surgery.

In the days that followed, police officers and Mayor Eric Adams met with Mr. Mora was described as fighting for his life in hospital.

But Officer Mora’s injuries were serious, and two days after he was transferred to NYU Longon Medical Center, he was pronounced dead. Commissioner Kiechant Sewell said Tuesday that Officer Mora was a “hero” for his service to the army and for donating an organ in his death.

Officer Mora’s family chose to donate his organs, said Leonard Achen, chairman of LiveOnNY, the designated organ procurement agency for the New York metro area that handled Officer Mora’s donation.

This week, Officer Mora’s organs were reported to be in the process of being fitted to patients on the waiting list. Achen said.

“When Officer Wilbert Mora’s family was notified that he was deceased, his family knew that their brave and dedicated son, even in death, would want to save lives,” he said. Achen said in a statement. “Officer Mora’s final gift, the gift of life to others in need.”

“True heroes will never die. Our brother, police officer Wilbert Mora, left us, but he will live in the heart of every New York City police officer from today,” said Patrick J. Lynch, president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, the city’s largest police association.

debt…NYPD, via Associated Press

Police officers Rivera and Mora responded to a call from a woman who said her son had threatened her around 6:30 p.m. When they arrived, the son, later identified by police as Lawson McNeill, was in a bedroom on a narrow hallway.

As officers approached Rivera and Mora’s bedroom door, Mr. McNeill, 47, emerged and began firing. Both officers were attacked; Mr. McNeil was shot in the arm and head by a third officer as he tried to leave the apartment. Mr. McNeill Died Monday His injuries.

The officer contacted Mora’s family member by phone at a number registered on Sunday, and one respondent was briefly emotional and refused to talk about him.

Four officers were shot dead in the city last week. Tuesday, A patrol officer was shot in the leg When confronted by a teenage suspect in the Bronx, police said Thursday, A detective was shot dead while carrying out a search warrant On Staten Island. None of those injuries were life-threatening.