A 4-year-old boy from Thassos who was “passed out” early Monday morning (8/1) at the Hippocrates Hospital in Thessaloniki was confirmed to have streptococcus.
The news of the child's death caused grief. According to information cited by ERT, the boy was taken by his parents to the Prinos Health Center in Thassos on Epiphany night with a fever and respiratory infection. He had previously visited the family's pediatrician and was then treated at the health center before being transferred to Kavala Hospital early in the morning.
Hippocrates of Thessaloniki: A 4-year-old boy from Thassos died of a respiratory infection.
There, his respiratory function deteriorated and he was intubated, according to the same media, the child had no underlying disease.
From Kavala Hospital he was supposed to be transferred to Thessaloniki's Hippocrates Children's Intensive Care Unit, where he died in the early hours of Monday (8/1).
“According to the information I received from the doctors, the child was streptococcus positive,” said Michalis Gianakos, president of the Panhellenic Federation of General Hospital Employees, on Mega's “Live News.”
As to the cause that led to the tragedy, an autopsy is expected to provide answers.
Declaration of Hippocrates
According to a statement from the hospital, “The patient was admitted on the afternoon of January 7 in a very serious general condition. Despite the efforts of the medical and nursing staff and maximum respiratory and other support, he died early today. From special microbiological examination of bronchial secretions carried out in GNTh. Hippocrates, RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) and Streptococcus pyogenes had a positive result”
. “Professional creator. Subtly charming web advocate. Unapologetic problem solver. Devoted student.”